Bristol’s first Carbon Neutral Letting Agency
We know how important the environment is to the people of Bristol. Whilst we continue to challenge our standards, there is more we can do. We want to make sure we have a positive impact and help our tenants and landlords do the same. That’s why we became Bristol’s first Carbon Neutral Letting Agency by offsetting our Carbon Footprint with our partners Carbon Neutral Britain. This means we support carbon reducing activities across the world; including wind, solar, hydra and cooking stove projects, with a strong focus on offsetting that provides lasting social and economic benefits, in developing countries around the world.
Over the next few months, we’ll tell you about the projects that The Letting Game are supporting, starting with the Nicaforest in Nicaragua.
Nicaforest Reforestation Program
The Nicaforest is in Nicaragua, a country in Central America. The Nicaforest program has 1,210 acres of land, looking to contribute to the creation of a sustainable timber trade. By working closely with local landowners the project makes sure that all stakeholders are fairly rewarded for their efforts. The program plants teak trees and other species for future sustainable timber production, as well as supporting the local community.
The project protects the remaining patches of native forest land and creates additional protected areas on riverbanks and other watersheds. The forests offer a natural habitat for native animals and plants, protecting and enriching the soil as well as saving and filtering water. All this contributes to the fight against the greenhouse effect.
How does this help the environment?
- Reduced deforestation – Planted around 360,000 trees on 4 different farms.
- Removing CO2 – The project has supported cleaner air with 45.6 tonnes of carbon dioxide removed.
- Natural Forests and nature protected – About 25-30% of the farms are areas where natural forests are left protected; enhancing plants and wildlife.
- Watersheds protected – Trees are not cut down within 100 metres of the river and creek to protect plants, wildlife and soil.
- Creating jobs – The project has provided more than 200 jobs during the planting periods and approximately 30 permanent ones. Jobs come with salary contracts, social security and equal pay for men and women.
- Help for farmers – By signing a Shared Benefit Agreement with Nicaforest, the farmers are able to enter the international timber and carbon market. Something that wouldn’t have been possible without the program.
- Transfer of know-how – The training and education of staff is an important part of operations. Furthermore, students from universities of natural sciences participate in programs enabling them to complete their education through field studies.
- Local food growth – The program developed a system for people without land to grow food crops like beans in between rows of trees. Over 70 tonnes of crop has been produced so far.
- Increased community support – A more reliable income for farmers, as they benefit from both the timber and carbon market. The increase in job opportunities supports the local communities.
Bristol’s Greenest Letting Agent
We are really proud to be supporting projects like these on behalf of our tenants and landlords. We’re also proudly growing our own ‘Letting Game Forest’ on behalf of our Bristol landlords, tenants and our team, you can read more about it here. All in support of our mission to become Bristol’s greenest letting agent.
If you would like to let your property through Bristol’s greenest letting agent then please give us a call.